Scuba Diving For Children – FAQs
Orca Scuba runs courses and scuba diving for children and all the family. Our pupils start at just 8 years old! Our internationally-trained instructors are here to make your learning experience as safe, relaxed and informative as possible.
Everyone can get involved, including those who do not know how to dive or even swim. We offer scuba diving, snorkel & skin dive training along with land-only based conservation programs with a focus on the marine environment. We already work with a number of schools. We’ve conducted projects with all sizes of groups – large and small. We can also tailor-make a package around your classes’ needs, just tell us what you want to do!
We have a zero failure and accident track record and we plan on keeping it that way.
Who can participate in Orca’s scuba diving for schools programmes?
- Children aged 8 years and up
- Teachers and parents (for certain programmes)
- At Rawa Island Resort we can handle group sizes of up to 160 children per camp
- Our resort can handle a maximum customer capacity of 350 to 400 guests
Why participate in our scuba diving for schools programmes?
What’s in it for the students?
- An educational and awesome experience learning more about the oceanic environments. Adding life skills under professional guidance, building on fitness, self esteem and overall water readiness
- Achieving and obtaining PADI certification(s), with global recognition and a lifelong license to scuba dive anywhere in the world
- Indulge in adventures and learn a lot about nature and the environment at the same time
What’s in it for the teachers?
- A great way to educate the younger generation about protecting the marine environment, creating young ocean ambassadors
- Can be run as part of schools’ CAS program, with kids participating in real conservation projects
- An entertaining and educational experience for teachers, who may participate in the same oceanic experience as the students
- Professional support and guidance from Orca Scuba staff throughout the entire programme
What’s in it for the parents?
- Enriching life experience for your children, keeping them active, and teaching them discipline, control, environmental science and physics
- Your kids connect with nature and divers from all over the world, gaining a unique perspective on global issues and life after school
- Strong focus on HSEQ: Health – Safety – Environment – Quality, plus an emphasis on learning to respect the environment
How do our schools scuba diving programmes work?
We have a wide variety of programmes ranging from a few hours to several months. After a school contacts Orca Scuba we will schedule a meeting with one of our experienced programme managers to discuss the individual needs and requirements of the specific school. Based upon this meeting we will customise a programme based upon the total number of students, budget and time involved. Once details have been firmed up, the school will launch an introduction campaign through its common information and communication platforms, inviting parents/students to sign up. For school camps and other programmes, Orca Scuba will jointly organise information sessions for parents with school management.
How long do our school scuba diving programmes take?
Most activities and programmes will be tailored towards the specific needs and requirements of the school, but here are some estimates:
- Try dive sessions (Bubblemakers and Discover Scuba Diving) will take 2-3 hours per session
- The Oceanic Awareness Programme comprises multiple 45-60-min classroom sessions. Typically runs as an ECA programme after school
- School Camps and Excursions typically run for 4D3N or 5D4N periods
- Diving Club outings normally take place over a period of time at school (preparation training, theory and confined pool training) with a concluding weekend 3D2N on Pulau Rawa, or Pulau Weh for more advanced programmes and older students
Our maximum course ratio is 4 students per instructor, even if regulations allow more.
Where do our schools scuba programmes take place?
Theory, Academics and Confined Pool Sessions normally take place at the school facilities. If required we can arrange additional pool training in public pools in Singapore. Open Water Training takes place at our flagship facility on Pulau Rawa or at other locations in South East Asia.
Why is scuba diving a good idea for schools and children?
Diving allows you to disconnect from the stresses of everyday life and connect with nature. It builds strong, lasting relationships with like-minded people and makes those that participate feel that the ocean environment is worth saving. Orca Scuba’s PADI Five Star IDC Centre status means we can offer the highest quality scuba diving training and PADI dive courses in the region, tailored to fit your schedule. Come and dive with us and let us open your eyes to the wonders of the oceans, so you too, can fall in love with it.
Our team of professional dive instructors has decades of combined experience introducing both children and adults to the underwater world through our high quality, safe and professional dive training. We teach a wide variety of PADI dive courses, from complete beginners, all the way up to professional PADI divemasters and instructors. Every course we teach, we focus on safety, quality and the preservation of our oceans. We use high quality equipment that is regularly inspected and maintained, and even have specially selected equipment just for children. All of our courses have a maximum ratio of just 4 students per one instructor, even if regulations allow a higher ratio for a particular course. We understand that time is precious, which is why we do not have fixed schedules for our programs. You can complete the theory and training at your own pace, even in the comfort of your own home, thanks to PADI’s training apps and online learning.
Is scuba diving safe for children?
Orca Scuba is a specialist in training young people to dive. We have a zero failure and accident track record and are actively working on keeping it like that, 24/7. Safety in our absolute highest priority, so much so that we have a dedicated dive safety page on this website, covering our approach to safety, and explaining why Orca is fast becoming an authority on children’s safety when scuba diving.
“Excellent dive instructors with a passion for the environment and actually educating you in all safety aspects.”
“Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. We have already booked to go back.”
“I liked it so much that I ended up extending my stay for another week to get my Advanced Open Water Certificate as well.”