PADI Junior Open Water Diver courses
The PADI Junior Open Water Diver course is your ticket to dive anywhere in the world! It is PADI's most popular and widely recognised course, and teaches you everything you need to know to safely dive with a buddy anywhere in the world. Join the millions of people who have learned to dive and discovered the beauty of the world beneath the surface.
The PADI Junior Open Water Diver Course is your first scuba diving certification. It enables you to dive to a maximum depth of 12m (for 10 and 11-year-olds) or 18m (for 12-to-14-year-olds).
The course consists of three main components: dive theory, shallow water skills practice (pool or shallow, confined water in the ocean), and four dives in open water.
For the theory portion of the course, Orca Scuba customers usually use one of PADI's digital products, either the Open Water e-learning computer version or the iPad Touch version. Both products enable the learner to see, hear and interact with the course content that is full of dynamic graphics, photos, pop-up sidebars and video clips. The study questions, knowledge reviews, quizzes and exams are highly interactive, too. This self-study program provides an interesting way of learning the required theory in your own time and at your own pace.
After completing the digital theory, you will get together with one of our instructors to catch up on any questions that may have come up throughout your learning. You'll also go through a short review of the most important concepts. This enables us to see whether all theory has been understood and to check you are happy and confident with everything.
Alternatively, you can do the full classroom theory with an instructor. This however, does take a little more 'in the classroom time' and incurs a small extra cost.
Orca Scuba offers two different ways of completing the shallow water skills and the dives in open water:
- Shallow water skills session in the pool in Singapore (after completing the theory session in Singapore) and the four open water dives in Pulau Rawa, Malaysia - the location of our dive centre.
- Online training, theory review and then the shallow water skills session plus the open water dives, all on Pulau Rawa.
Throughout the shallow water training you are gradually building on the basic concepts and skills you need to be safe underwater, which you will then repeat on the slightly deeper open water ocean dives.
To participate in the PADI Junior Open Water Diver Course you must:
- Be at least 10 years old
- Be able to swim unaided for 200m and float or 'tread water' for 10 minutes, without touching the sides of bottom of the pool.
- No prior scuba diving experience necessary
What will you learn?
During the PADI Junior Open Water Diver course you will:
- Be taught to understand the basic principles of scuba diving. This can even be completed in the comfort of your own home at a speed that suits you using PADI's new tablet app.
- Complete shallow water skills training, where you will learn all the skills and techniques needed when diving in open water.
- Complete four open water dives to put your new skills to use and explore the underwater world with one of our professional PADI dive instructor.
- Learn all about the equipment used in scuba diving and how to set up your own set of dive gear before a dive.
We offer several locations for completing the Open Water Diver program, which can be mixed and matched, depending on availability. This list currently includes the following, although please check availability, as more options will be coming online soon:
- Singapore (theory and shallow water skills only)
- Orca Rawa at Pulau Rawa, Malaysia
- Orca Maka-Maka at Lembeh, Indonesia
- Orca Ashyana at Bali, Indonesia
- Diver age: 10-to-14 years old
- Course components:
- Dive theory
- Shallow water skills practice (pool or confined water in the ocean)
- Four dives in open water
- Course duration: 3-to-4 days (flexible)
- Maximum depth: 12 metres
- Dive location: swimming pool and ocean