PADI Advanced Open Water Diver courses
For divers looking to continue their diving adventure after PADI Open Water, this is the ideal choice. You will discover more of what the underwater world has to offer. Dive to a depth of 30 metres to find reefs, wrecks and the places you can't read with a standard Open Water certification.
Across 5 dives, you will be introduced to different skills and environments. You can choose to dive at night, dive to deeper depths, or learn how to identify different marine creatures.
DescriptionThe PADI Advanced Open Water Course is the second step in your development as a scuba diver. After completing your Open Water Diver course, this next stage certifies you to dive to a maximum depth of 30m. (21m maximum for 12-15 year olds who do the Junior Advanced Open Water.)The program consists of two components:
- Dive Theory
- Five 'Adventure Dives' in open water
TheoryAlthough you can choose the full classroom theory with an instructor, most customers opt for digital learning. Classroom study entails fixed study times and a small extra cost. E-learning is totally flexible. Our interactive course materials are more interesting and engaging than traditional hard copy books, and PADI's digital tools can be accessed remotely, 24x7. They are packed full of photos, video clips and dynamic graphical content. They also enable you to study at your own pace. You can experiment with study questions, knowledge reviews, quizzes and exams, all of which are entertaining and interactive.
ReviewAfter completing the digital theory, your instructor will walk you through the headline concepts. You can review questions or details you may have found puzzling. They will also provide a short review of the most important issues, ensuring your understanding is to the required level. This allows our instructors to gauge when you're ready to dive. It also ensures you are confident enough to take to the water.
Adventure DivesThe five 'Adventure Dives' can be chosen from a variety of options (shown below). In order to receive the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification, the 'Deep Dive' and the 'Navigation Dive' are mandatory. The three remaining dives can be chosen according to your individual preferences. We offer the following Adventure Dives at our dive centre on Pulau Rawa (the Deep and Navigation dives are not included below, as these are mandatory):
- Peak Performance Buoyancy – This dive is designed to make you feel more comfortable in the water. Fine tune your buoyancy skills to make you a safer, more confident and a more coral-friendly diver. It will help improve your air consumption too!
- Multilevel Diver – Learn to use a dive computer to its fullest capabilities. Learn how you can use tools like the e-RDP ML to plan multilevel dives, as well as using your own computer, and get more comfortable with using dive tables too.
- Underwater Naturalist – Learn to identify the creatures, plants and fish that surround you and gain a deeper understanding of the relationships in their underwater eco system. Learn how to safely interact with the aquatic environment in a non-invasive way.
- Night Diver – See the coral reef in a whole new way, with many different creatures coming out to play! Learn safe diving techniques for diving at night, as well as simple navigation techniques.
- Aware Fish ID – Learn to identify the fish that you see on your dives. Look deeper into the families and how to identify fish from size, shape colour and much more!
- Search and Recovery – Learn different techniques to find items lost to the sea! You will learn different search pattern techniques, and how to handle a lift bag.
- Wreck Diver – Wrecks often have amazing stories to tell! Learn the basic wreck diving techniques you would need to safely dive on a wreck. Learn how to avoid siltation, how to navigate a wreck, special descent and ascent techniques and how wrecks become special hiding places for fish and other marine animals.
- Digital Underwater Photographer – Learn the basic techniques of taking good pictures under water. Picture composition, how to overcome light loss, zoom or not to zoom, it is good buoyancy practice too and just great fun. The dive will require the possession of a basic underwater camera.
All dives will be conducted at one of our dive centres - either on beautiful Rawa Island in Malaysia or on Pulau Weh in Indonesia. All our instructors are Master Scuba Diver Trainers (MSDT) and we teach at a maximum ratio of 4 students to 1 instructor.
To participate in the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver Course you must:
- Be at least 12 years old
- Hold a PADI Open Water Diver certification or equivalent certification certification from another diving agency.
What will you learn?
During the PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course you will:
- Build on your existing knowledge from the PADI Open Water Diver course.
- Complete a deep dive, and navigation dive plus 3 dives of your choice.
- Dive to a maximum depth of 30m/100ft under the supervision of our professional PADI instructors.
- Prepare yourself for PADI 'Specialty Courses'.
Here at Orca Scuba we have several locations for completing the Open Water Diver program. These can be mixed and matched, depending on availability:
- Pulau Rawa, Malaysia
- Orca Maka-Maka, Lembeh, Indonesia
- Orca Ashyana, Bali, Indonesia
- Diver age: minimum 12 years old (children aged 12-to-15 can complete the PADI Junior Advanced Open Water Diver course)
- Course components:
- Dive theory
- Five 'adventure dives' in open water
- Course duration: 2 days
- Maximum depth: 30 metres
- Dive location: ocean